Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Seasons of Change and Gratitude

What is new and good?

I recently celebrated my 20 year high school reunion. Wow! I still cannot grasp how quickly 20 years went by. My classmates were a great crew; many Lyman Hall students after us admired what a tight group we were. I was touched by the amazing accomplishments we’ve all made and how well we all aged. I am so proud of all of you!

I looked back and reviewed what I accomplished in the last 20 years and realized the most significant changes were made when I set my mind to change. Makes sense, right? But I spent a lot of my years wanting change, but never really taking action until I’d had enough! Sure, we can think about all we want in our lives, complain about what we don’t have - what is holding you back from taking action? For me it was mostly fear – a 4 letter word!

I'd had enough when I was 100 pounds heavier and decided I wanted better health and lost the weight, when I was unhappy in my career I found a job to fit my lifestyle, when my relationships weren’t working I changed them and took time to discover who I am and what I really wanted out of life, and when my life’s purpose wasn’t clear I searched and asked and was led to finish college, attend energy medicine school, become certified in Usui and Shamballa Reiki, open a business, and graduate Nutrition school. Wow! and that was only in the last 5 years. But before then so much of my story was a “story” which kept me from realizing what I really wanted out of life. I was holding myself back. When I let go of my "story" real change happened in my life. Is there a ‘story’ you are holding onto that is keeping you from living your best life ever?

I remember times where I just “lived” – getting through the daily tasks of work, self-care (limited to shower & makeup and now it has such a broader, more fulfilling meaning), laundry, dinner, and sleep. When I started to live on purpose my life became a purpose! Now I guide and coach people to find themselves, get out of their ‘stories’, love themselves for who they are, create sustainable change, and a life they love! As we change those around us change. As Ghandi said, “Be the change you want to see in the world”. What change are you ready to see? What life do you want to live?

As we wrap up the Thanksgiving holiday, a time where giving “Thanks” is more prominent in our discussions, I am grateful for many things – my family, friends, health, home, my cats (one who is purring next to me as I write this), all the good times, and all the challenging times which pushed me to make change what I didn’t like in my life. Are you ready to open yourself up to change and see what appears in your life? I actually make it a practice to be grateful and thankful every day of the year – for all that comes into my life. As I show gratitude, more great things appear in my life.

I am excited to have had the chance to connect with my high school classmates – to connect with those I barely knew to those I knew since elementary school. How different we are, but how much we've remained the same. I am also excited for the holiday celebrations - to connect with family and friends. For me it is not only bout the food and gifts, but about really making connections, really ‘being’ with those close to me and getting to know those new to my life.

These last 20 years of experiences have been like ingredients in a recipe – a recipe of my life, ingredients which are always encouraging me to grow and be the best person I can be. What ingredients are you most grateful for? What experiences are you ready to add to your recipe of life?

My yearbook quote was “Life moves pretty fast, if you don’t move around once and a while you could miss it!” Who knew?!?! It took me a few years to catch up with that wisdom, but living life on purpose and in the moment has been very fulfilling. How will you live “on purpose” today?

No comments:

Post a Comment