Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Kale Chips!

Kale, a beautiful, green leafy vegetable loaded with nutrients that could help with those cravings!

The first time I was introduced to Kale was when I started Nutrition School (I'm over 30 years old!) and I am in love with it!  It’s one of the most nutritious vegetables you can find, filled with vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin K, phytonutrients (those handy cancer-fighting nutrients), fiber, calcium, and all kinds of essential amino acids and it is tasty!!

Potato chip lovers – Kale chips are a great swap for chips and a great way to get in your daily greens. Kids, husbands, & even my mom loves them!

Here is a great link with more of the health benefits of kale.

Try this this week!
* Preheat oven to 350

* Take 1 head fresh kale, wash and remove center stem/vien
* In a bowl pour a small amount of Olive Oil over Kale to slightly coat
* Mix well
* Place kale on baking sheet and sprinkle on seasonings of your choice.  Try Mrs. Dash, garlic and pepper, chili pepper - experiment!
* Bake for 10 minutes, then flip.  Bake another 10 minutes or until edges are brown and Kale is crispy when moved in the pan
* Sprinkle with sea salt to taste
* Enjoy!!

3 comments:

  1. I am going to try this. I am almost 40 and have NEVER had Kale. I looked for it in my supermarket last week and they didn't have it :/ I did notice that the Natural Store had it, so I will let you know how I liked it! BTW Great job on the site Kelly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ann! I'm so excited to share Kale with you! Husbands and kids surprisingly love the Kale chips. You may be surprised how quickly they disappear! Thanks for coming by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! Can't wait to try this recipe! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete