Monday, June 7, 2010

Are you being exposed?

To chemicals and toxins?

Last night I caught part 2 of a special Dr. Sanjay Gupta did on CNN - "Toxic Childhood".  It was about how babies are being exposed to toxic chemicals before they are even born!  Harmful chemicals are found in the air, home, and common household cleaners.  80,000 chemicals and only 200 are tested - scary!  The health of our children is changing and Richard Denison says that child cancers are rising.

Chemicals are in everything we use - soap, shampoo, makeup, the numerous household cleaners we use, fertilizers, bug sprays, pesticides...  No wonder the disease rate is rising.  There are better choices and options available to us.

After the show couldn't believe what I did (but it did prompt me to write to about what I know).  I really needed to unwind and get to sleep so I sprayed a couple of shots of this lavender spray aromatherapy (I found while cleaning this weekend) onto my pillow.  The worst thing I could have done!!  This aromatherapy spray went right through my body - I felt it in my nose and I was soon tasting it!  Only 2 squirts - on my pillow and it was in my body!!  I was not that close when I sprayed and I was tasting it!!!  It blows my mind!

I'm obviously sensitive because I've used that spray in the past.  I think its because I've been trying to clear / detox my home and my body and lessen the exposure I have to toxic chemicals that I was so sensitive to the spray.  I threw it out and will be sticking to my Happy Spray for my aromatherapy.

Concerned about toxic chemicals you and your family are exposed to?  Here are a few simple things you can easily start doing to clear your home. 
  • Take your shoes off when you enter your home to keep from tracking in chemicals, garden pesticides, lawn fertilizers and herbicides.  Especially if you have children who play on the floor or like me do yoga and stretch on the floor.
  • Use a carbon filter pitcher to remove lead, chlorine and bacteria from your water.
  • Use cast iron or stainless steel pans for cooking.  The non-stick has a chemical PFOA that is starting to show up in our blood.
  • Use stainless steel water containers (this also saves the earth from the billions of plastic water bottles we toss every year).
  • Store your leftovers and food in glass containers.  If your plastic container has a #7, assume it has the chemical BPA in it unless it is specifically BPA free.
  • Get a house plant.  It can eliminate up to 90% of the toxic chemicals in our air. 
  • Open your windows and let the house air out.  Indoor air is 2-5 times more polluted than outdoor air.
Another concern is pesticides on our produce.  With summer here we're all eating a lot more fruits and veggies, but it can be costly when buying organic.  You can wash and peel your fruits and veggies although pesticides can be taken up from the root and into the plant and cannot be removed.

The Environmental Working Group is a nonprofit focused on public health, scoured nearly 100,000 produce pesticide reports from the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to determine what fruits and vegetables we eat have the highest, and lowest, amounts of chemical residue.  They've developed a list of the Dirty Dozen which have the most pesticides.

Buy these Organic:
  1. Peaches
  2. Apples
  3. Sweet Bell Peppers
  4. Celery
  5. Nectarines
  6. Strawberries
  7. Cherries
  8. Lettuce
  9. Grapes (imported)
  10. Pears
  11. Spinach
  12. Potatoes
They also have a list of the Cleanest 12 (lowest in pesticides)
  1. Onions
  2. Avocado
  3. Sweet corn (frozen)
  4. Pineapples
  5. Mango
  6. Sweet peas (frozen)
  7. Asparagus
  8. Kiwi
  9. Bananas
  10. Cabbage
  11. Broccoli
  12. Eggplant
Print this and keep it on your fridge.  Always wash your produce regardless of which list it falls on. 

Start slowly.  It may feel overwhelming when you're in the market looking through all the "green" cleaners.  Take a look at Young Living's natural cleaners Thieves.  It works incredibly well!!  It took mildew out of my shower with barely a scrub - better than the bleachy chemicals I had tried in the past.  You can use it everywhere.  I also love their waterless hand sanitizer.  It smells good and I don't have to worry about putting my nieces putting their hands in their mouth after they've used it.  If you decide to buy, enter 1097012 as your referring distributor id.

You may pay a little more now to keep your body and home clear of these toxins, but I feel it is better to pay a little more now (preventative) than pay a heck of a lot more later (illness and disease).

To your health!  Live long and happy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment